Re: Web & DB Servers

From: "Hunter, Ray" <rhunter(at)enterasys(dot)com>
To: "'Zavier'" <zavier(at)zavier(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Web & DB Servers
Date: 2002-02-11 13:36:48
Lists: pgsql-php

It depends on what you are doing...I have a stripped down server that is
apache & pgsql with nothing else. It is a 933mhz with 256M ram and I have
optimized both apache and pgsql to run. I have really nothing else on the
system. The only draw back I see is that if you split the two up and you
have tons of network traffic; you queries might take longer over the
network. You also have the question of authentication with pgsql for the
connection when you have the two on different machines. If you trust you
network 100% then you can have a trusted connection--else you need to set up
some type of authentication which might decrease performance. I have not
done any testing in this area; however, I am debting whether or not to go
down the road.

As for the cpu's, I have not looked into the L2 cache as of yet.

Hope this helps...

Ray Hunter
Firmware Engineer

ENTERASYS NETWORKS