Re: pg_dump on Postgres 9.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alanoly Andrews <alanolya(at)invera(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump on Postgres 9.1
Date: 2012-07-27 16:12:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

Alanoly Andrews <alanolya(at)invera(dot)com> writes:
> Is there any reported bug with pg_dump in Postgres 9.1, on AIX ? The following command hangs for "ever" and has to be interrupted. It creates a zero-length file.

We had a recent report of strange server-side behavior on AIX that went
away after rebuilding with a newer version of xlc, suggesting that the
code was getting bitten by an xlc optimization bug. Perhaps this is the
same thing inside pg_dump. If you're not using the latest xlc, try
updating. If you are, does rebuilding with -O0 change the behavior?