Re: CLUSTER using more memory than expected

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua Marsh" <icub3d(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CLUSTER using more memory than expected
Date: 2006-10-25 22:49:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Joshua Marsh" <icub3d(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> The CLUSTER function seems to be using more memory than I expect.

CLUSTER will eat maintenance_work_mem during index rebuilds --- more or
less. You shouldn't expect these numbers to be dead on, particularly
not in older releases. It looks like your 2Gb spec has turned into
3.6Gb actually eaten, which is a bit sloppier accounting than I'd like
but not overly surprising. (FWIW, I think CVS HEAD is better than 8.0
at measuring sort workspace.)