Re: Application name patch - v2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "Massa, Harald Armin" <chef(at)ghum(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Application name patch - v2
Date: 2009-10-20 21:54:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net> writes:
> I'd like a default, especially for psql, to help identify interactive sessions.

psql can certainly provide a default, and maybe even do something
actually useful like report the -f file it's running. The question here
is whether it is worth the trouble for libpq to try to report an appname
*without* the surrounding application's cooperation. I don't think so.
You are talking dozens if not hundreds of lines of unportable code,
versus one line (per app) of entirely portable code.