incorrect xlog.c coverage report

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: incorrect xlog.c coverage report
Date: 2018-11-20 08:28:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I noticed some strangeness in the test coverage reporting. For example,
in
https://coverage.postgresql.org/src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c.gcov.html
in the function readRecoveryCommandFile(), most of the branches parsing
the individual recovery options (recovery_target_xid,
recovery_target_time, etc.) are shown as never hit, even though there
are explicit tests for this in
src/test/recovery/t/003_recovery_targets.pl. I tried this locally and
also with -O0 just in case, but I get the same results. Any ideas?