Re: TimestampUtils.toJavaSecs / toPgSecs seem dubious

From: Philippe Marschall <pm(at)netcetera(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TimestampUtils.toJavaSecs / toPgSecs seem dubious
Date: 2019-08-02 07:16:03
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 26.07.19 14:59, Chapman Flack wrote:
> pgJDBC's toJavaSecs() and toPgSecs() methods contain some dubious
> adjustments, apparently there in an attempt to make the java.sql
> mapping less weird. But it really succeeds only in smearing the weird
> around so it's not where it belongs, and some even gets on the java.time
> mapping, which ought to be free of weird.

So, I had a look at this. I can only reproduce it with the binary
protocol, not with the text protocol. So as a short term work around
switching to the text protocol should work.
java.time inherits the weird because it also goes through toJavaSecs. I
am working on a patch but it needs more tests and polish. I hope I'll be
able to submit a bug and PR shortly.

Cheers
Philippe