Re: Re: Causeless CPU load waves in backend, on windows, 9.5.5 (EDB binary).

From: Nikolai Zhubr <n-a-zhubr(at)yandex(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Causeless CPU load waves in backend, on windows, 9.5.5 (EDB binary).
Date: 2017-02-14 10:28:44
Lists: pgsql-general

14.02.2017 12:47, John R Pierce:
> On 2/13/2017 11:03 PM, Nikolai Zhubr wrote:
>> Now I'd like to locate a CPU eater more precisely - supposedly there
>> is some issue with communication, that is why I don't want to mix in
>> anything else.
>
> use iperf to test the network transport layer, without any postgres in
> the loop?

No, the network performance in general is fine. However, some specific
continuous communication pattern causes something to go very wrong on
windows periodically. (And there is no such problem on linux btw) While
the issue now seems rather related to windows itself and not postgres,
but the pattern typical for some of my postgres uses is apparently a
reliable trigger. Therefore, I'm thinking to first isolate the problem
inside postgres, and if it still triggers then, second step, create a
test "server" consisting of communication code of postgres to run
without any other parts of postgres.

Regards,
Nikolai