Re: [HACKERS] Last call?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Last call?
Date: 1998-10-27 16:04:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> o regresion tests are almost good except the datetime test.
> SELECT ('tomorrow'::datetime = ('yesterday'::datetime
> + '2 days'::timespan)) as "True"; --> shows 'false'

I assume you ran these tests during Monday (PST)? That's a symptom
of the daylight savings time transition issue that was just discussed
to death on pg-hackers. Not to worry --- it's just a shortcoming
of the datetime regression test, not a bug in Postgres.

> SELECT ('current'::datetime = 'now'::datetime)
> as "True"; --> shows 'false'
> SELECT count(*) AS one FROM DATETIME_TBL WHERE
> d1 = 'today'::datetime; --> no row selected

These two worry me more. They don't look like they should be
subject to the DST issue, and no one else reported seeing them
fail over the weekend. Thomas, any thoughts?

> FreeBSD:
> o int8 testing fails (is this normal?)

It is if the platform does not have a 64-bit integer data type.

If FreeBSD's compiler and C library do support a 64-bit int type,
then there is a problem that we ought to fix. Most likely,
configure doesn't know the name of the type to try, or isn't trying
the right format string for sprintf/sscanf of a long long int.