Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch
Date: 2011-06-08 22:10:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> writes:
> Simon,
>> The point I have made is that I disagree with a feature freeze date
>> fixed ahead of time without regard to the content of the forthcoming
>> release. I've not said I disagree with feature freezes altogether,
>> which would be utterly ridiculous. Fixed dates are IMHO much less
>> important than a sensible and useful feature set for our users.

> This is such a non-argument it's silly.

Perhaps more to the point, we've tried that approach in the past,
repeatedly, and it's been a scheduling disaster every single time.
Slipping the release date in order to get in newly-written features,
no matter *how* attractive they are, does not work. Maybe there are
people who can make it work, but not us.