Re: Confusing behavior of psql's \e

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Jacob Champion <pchampion(at)vmware(dot)com>, "chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net" <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confusing behavior of psql's \e
Date: 2021-04-03 21:43:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> Attached is version 6.

Pushed with some mostly-cosmetic fiddling.

One thing I changed that wasn't cosmetic is that as you had it,
the behavior of "\e file" varied depending on whether the query
buffer had been empty, which surely seems like a bad idea.
I made it do discard_on_quit always in that case. I think there
might be a case for discard_on_quit = false always, ie maybe
the user wanted to load the file into the query buffer as-is.
But it seems like a pretty weak case --- you'd be more likely
to just use \i for that situation.