Re: pg_lzcompress patch for 8.3, 8.2 branch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_lzcompress patch for 8.3, 8.2 branch
Date: 2008-05-28 21:11:50
Lists: pgsql-patches

Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> I attached backported pg_lzcompress patch which is already in head for version
> 8.2 and 8.3.

> Version 8.1 and prior contains more changes in decompress code and they does not
> contain any check. Shell I backported it as well or it will be better to keep it
> untouched?

AFAICS the only nontrivial patch in pg_lzcompress.c between 7.4 and 8.2
is my cleanup patch here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2006-10/msg00076.php
That's been in the tree long enough that I wouldn't have any hesitation
about back-porting it, so that all the supported versions would have
the same lzcompress code. About the only reason I can see not to do it
is that conceivably some third-party code somewhere might be calling
pglz_compress directly; in which case an API change in a minor release
would be a problem for them.

On the other hand, I remain unconvinced that this problem is severe
enough to justify much backporting work. AFAIK we've only seen one
occurence of a problem to date.

Thoughts?