Re: postgres data permission

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Silvio Brandani <silvio(dot)brandani(at)tech(dot)sdb(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres data permission
Date: 2010-07-15 15:40:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

Silvio Brandani <silvio(dot)brandani(at)tech(dot)sdb(dot)it> writes:
> I need to start a postgres istance on a samba filesystems /data which
> have rwxrwxrwx (777) permissions, Ic ould not change such permissions.
> If I try to start postgres it complain that should be 700 permission .

> How can I skip this control by postgres startup process and be able to
> startup istance on this "special folder"??

You can't, and it wouldn't be a good idea even if you could.

I think what you're really saying is that you are trying to create a
Postgres data directory directly on a filesystem mount point. Don't do
that (it's a large-caliber foot-gun even aside from permissions issues).
Make a subdirectory in the mount point, and use that as the data
directory, and make sure it has the right ownership and permissions.