Rackspace Managed Hosting Job Posting

From: "Oren David" <odavid(at)rackspace(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Rackspace Managed Hosting Job Posting
Date: 2007-06-11 21:39:30
Lists: pgsql-jobs

Hello,

I would like to post this position for a PostgreSQL DBA at our San
Antonio, TX headquarters.

Rackspace is a highly awarded and respected managed web hosting company.
We earned our place by approaching what we do from our customer's
point-of-view. We do more than just expertly support the technologies we
provide (the servers, the devices, the data centers and the network); we
also expertly support our customers. We call it Fanatical Support(tm).
It's a novel idea and it seems to work really well for all involved -
our customers, our company and our employees.

Home to more than 1,600 Rackers (known to the outside world as Rackspace
employees), we've nearly doubled in size during the past year - that's
how rapidly we're expanding. And the growth has happened without us
acquiring other companies or being acquired by another company. If
you're paying attention, this kind of growth means that we're hiring all
the time.

But just because we need to hire people, doesn't mean we'll let anyone
in the place. There are a few prerequisites. You have to be pretty darn
sharp. You need to like working hard. You should believe in Rackspace
and Fanatical Support and in yourself. And you better love what you do,
because we do.

Our Core Values are:

1. FANATICAL SUPPORT(tm) in all we do

2. RESULTS first: substance over flash

3. Embrace CHANGE for excellence

4. PASSION for our work

5. Keep our PROMISES

6. We treat each other like FRIENDS and FAMILY

The primary responsibility of this position is the administration of
PostgreSQL databases including monitoring, optimization, backup/restore,
data migration, deployment to multiple environments and disaster
recovery. In addition, the database administrator must be adept at
database design and recommend best practices for Rackspace. The ability
to manage multiple tasks and priorities efficiently and simultaneously
is important.

Responsibilities:

Our databases are high volume transactional databases that are large in
size and are mission critical. The ability to troubleshoot performance
issues and problems with PostgreSQL are of paramount importance.
Excellent communication skills are needed. The ability to express ideas
clearly and work well on a team or individually is highly desired.

Job Requirements:

* 3+ years DBA experience (at least 2 years with
PostgreSQL)

* Excellent communication skills; particularly the
ability to convey ideas, and understand the ideas of others

* Understands complex database and server
technologies

* Knowledgeable in complex troubleshooting
techniques at the server and database level.

* Query optimization. Good programming skills
preferred.

* Knowledgeable in setting up failover (FO) and
high availability (HA) setups.

* Database Mirroring, replication and schema
design.

* Light Linux system administration experience is
preferred.

Education:

* Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related
field or equivalent experience preferred.

Thank you,

Oren David

Sr Recruiter

Rackspace Managed Hosting

210-447-4744

odavid(at)rackspace(dot)com

expressly indicated, is confidential and privileged information of Rackspace
Managed Hosting. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed
material is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please
notify us immediately by e-mail at abuse(at)rackspace(dot)com, and delete the
original message. Your cooperation is appreciated.