Re: Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc

From: "C(dot) Bensend" <benny(at)bennyvision(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc
Date: 2004-09-12 16:55:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

> Maybe it's exceeding a ulimit setting?

Bingo.

> You might want to watch it with "top" and see what size the process
> actually gets to before failing. I'm not sure how accurate the
> vacuum_mem throttle is ...

It failed immediately upon invocation of vacuumdb.

I did find the problem and I feel like an idiot. For some reason
the PostgreSQL user's login class didn't get changed from the default
on this host. So, it had all kinds of limits set that were too low.
I changed that and voila!

I'm now running with 64M and my vacuums are much faster. Thanks so
much!

Benny

--
Funniest spam subject: "The mighty cucumber lives again!"
-- Received Aug 31, 2004