Re: Endgame for all those SELECT FOR UPDATE changes: fix plan node order

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Endgame for all those SELECT FOR UPDATE changes: fix plan node order
Date: 2009-10-27 20:42:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Right, the case would be something like
>>
>> select * from
>> (select * from foo order by x limit n) ss
>> for update of ss;

> That's a pretty odd construction.

Dunno why you think that. That's exactly what one would write if one
wanted certain operations to execute in a different order than they're
defined to execute in within a single query level. We have not
previously been very clear about the order of operations for FOR UPDATE
locking relative to other steps, but now we will be.