Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-02-02 20:22:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-02-02 Th 10:00, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Sure. There's probably some work that could still be done in this area
>> too, such as making pgperltidy work similarly to how we've now make
>> pgindent work.
> Perhaps. But before we commit to that, I'd like to see some tweaks to the
> pgperltidy rules to make it less eager to revisit the formatting of lines
> close to a change. Its current behavior will induce a lot of "git blame"
> noise if we apply these same procedures to Perl code.

I haven't done anything about that yet, but I have reworked the script
so it's a lot more like pgindent, with --show-diff and --silent-diff
modes, and allowing a list of files to be indented on the command line.
Non-perl files are filtered out from such a list.

> (Should I mention reformat-dat-files?)

If you want I can add those flags there too.

>> There's also a question of timing. Possibly the best time would be when
>> we next fork the tree.
> Yeah. We have generally not wanted to do a mass indent except
> when there's a minimum amount of pending patches, ie after the last
> CF of a cycle. What I'd suggest is that we plan on doing a mass
> indent and then switch over to the new rules, right after the March
> CF closes. That gives us a couple months to nail down and test out
> the new procedures before they go live.

WFM. Of course then we're not waiting for the developer meeting.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgperltidy-new.patch text/x-patch 3.6 KB