Re: Uber moving towards MySQL

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Santiago Zarate <santiago(at)zarate(dot)net(dot)ve>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Uber moving towards MySQL
Date: 2016-07-26 22:00:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 07/26/2016 02:57 PM, Santiago Zarate wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> Has anyone read the following article?, i'm personlally inclined to
> think that some of these problems could have been addressed with enough
> expertise.

It is being discussed on -hackers and -general right now.

> At our company we may move to PostgreSQL for one of our core products
> (we use oracle), and a colleague came with this today. While this
> started a very heated discussion on our side... I wonder, what do you
> guys think

I think they have some valid points, especially around:

Inefficient data replication
Poor replica MVCC support
Difficulty upgrading to newer releases

Whilst Berkus brought up:

Inefficient architecture for writes

They are all good points but Oracle certainly has its own list too.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. http://the.postgres.company/