Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <jan(at)wi3ck(dot)info>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A Modest Upgrade Proposal
Date: 2016-07-17 21:16:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07/17/2016 11:55 AM, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Yeah, I haven't meet anyone yet that would like to have:
>
> select replicate_these_relations('['public']);
>
> vs:
>
> ALTER SCHEMA public ENABLE REPLICATION;
>
> (or something like that).
>

> I generally agree, but I think the more important question is
> "Why?". Is it becouse DDL looks more like a sentence? Is it because
> arrays are a PITA? Is it too hard to call functions?

IMO, because it isn't code. I think that people forget that many, many
DBAs are not developers, they are business analysts that happen to also
be DBAs. Similarly, there is a reason why MongoDB/NoSQL will never be as
popular as good old fashion SQL.

> Once you get fine grained enough to support replicating different sets
> of possibly overlapping objects/namespaces to different groups of
> recipients, the DDL approach becomes just as convoluted as calling
> functions and nobody will memorize the entire syntax.

Ehh, partially true. For example, I don't know every single nuance of
ALTER TABLE but that is what the \h is for. Replication would be no
different.

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. http://the.postgres.company/