Re: pg_receivewal starting position

From: Ronan Dunklau <ronan(dot)dunklau(at)aiven(dot)io>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_receivewal starting position
Date: 2021-10-25 07:15:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le lundi 25 octobre 2021, 08:51:23 CEST Michael Paquier a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 10:36:42AM +0200, Ronan Dunklau wrote:
> > Done. I haven't touched the timeline switch test patch for now, but I
> > still
> > include it here for completeness.
>
> As 0001 and 0002 have been applied, I have put my hands on 0003, and
> found a couple of issues upon review.
>
> + Assert(slot_name != NULL);
> + Assert(restart_lsn != NULL);
> There is no need for those asserts, as we should support the case
> where the caller gives NULL for those variables.

Does it make sense though ? The NULL slot_name case handling is pretty
straight forward has it will be handled by string formatting, but in the case
of a null restart_lsn, we have no way of knowing if the command was issued at
all.

> + if (PQserverVersion(conn) < 150000)
> + return false;
> Returning false is incorrect for older server versions as we won't
> fallback to the old method when streaming from older server. What
> this needs to do is return true and set restart_lsn to
> InvalidXLogRecPtr, so as pg_receivewal would just stream from the
> current flush location. "false" should just be returned on error,
> with pg_log_error().

Thank you, this was an oversight when moving from the more complicated error
handling code.

--
Ronan Dunklau