Re: Escaping the ARC patent

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jharris(at)tvi(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Escaping the ARC patent
Date: 2005-02-03 22:49:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Jonah H. Harris" <jharris(at)tvi(dot)edu> writes:
> I'm familiar with the 2Q algorithm. I also remember seeing, I believe,
> a public domain 2Q implementation floating around somewhere.

No doubt, but I think the more conservative way to get there is to
proceed by trimming down the working code we already have. Adapting
someone else's code to fit into our backend infrastructure would involve
a fair amount of modifications (memory management and error handling at
the very least) with consequent risks of introducing bugs.

Still, it wouldn't be bad to have someone else's implementation at hand
as a comparison point. Do you have a link handy?