Re: Parallel safety tagging of extension functions

From: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel safety tagging of extension functions
Date: 2016-06-10 11:44:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/09/2016 10:48 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> Yes, let's fix it. This will also take care of the questions about
>>> whether the GIN/GIST opclass tweaks I made a few months ago require
>>> module version bumps.
>
>> Tom, there's a patch for this at
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/574F091A.3050800@proxel.se which
>> I think you should review, since you were the one who made the tweaks
>> involved. Any chance you can do that RSN?
>
> I've pushed this with some revisions to make the queries more
> search-path-safe. I'm not too happy with the safety of the queries
> I see already present from the previous patches. I think stuff
> like this:
>
> UPDATE pg_proc SET proparallel = 's'
> WHERE oid = 'min(citext)'::regprocedure;
>
> needs to be more like
>
> UPDATE pg_catalog.pg_proc SET proparallel = 's'
> WHERE oid = 'min(citext)'::pg_catalog.regprocedure;

Good point. While I believe that we can trust that ALTER EXTENSION
handles the search path for the functions of the extension we should
qualify things in pg_catalog.

I have attached a patch which adds the shcema, plus an updated patch for
tseach2.

Andreas

Attachment Content-Type Size
parallel-contrib-v3-tsearch2.patch.gz application/gzip 4.9 KB
parallel-contrib-qualify-casts.patch text/x-patch 1.4 KB