Re: Relocatable locale

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Relocatable locale
Date: 2004-05-27 02:26:04
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The problem boils down to the fact that libpq needs to find its data
>> files (in this case locale data, but it could be anything), but it
>> doesn't know its own location, so it can't use a relative path
>> reference as has been proposed.

> I am wondering if we should use environment variables, and have our apps
> use putenv() to set it to the proper relative path.

*Our* apps are not the problem. The problem comes when libpq is
embedded in somebody else's app --- which is not going to be that
cooperative, and would have no good way to know what path to supply
if it did want to be cooperative.

I can't say I care for the environment variable idea either; though
there may not be any better alternative.