Re: Some minor error fixes

From: Alexander Law <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Some minor error fixes
Date: 2016-05-14 06:23:49
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hello Peter,

Thank you!
I see that M is just an alias for MUMPS. I stumbled upon the
inconsistency between B015, B115, B125, M022 on the one side and M015 on
the other. Anyway, it's definitely not a bug in our docs.

Please look at the following errors/fixes.

Patch #2 is for consistency on [1].
Bug #6 is the most interesting. Table "Table F-17. Hash Algorithm
Speeds" on [2] contains following row:
/Algorithm | Hashes/sec//
//crypt-bf/5 | 13504/
And there is a following note below the table:
/For reference: john -test shows 213 loops/sec for crypt-bf/5. (The very
small difference in results is in accordance with the fact that the
crypt-bf implementation in pgcrypto is the same one used in John the
Ripper.)/
It seems that the number 213 is out of sync with the table contents.
("Very small difference" was indeed present before [3]. See [4].)
As I can't reproduce exact numbers on my machine, I suggest to slightly
increase the number that was specified in the table (+2 as before).

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/reference-server.html
[2]
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/pgcrypto.html#PGCRYPTO-HASH-SPEED-TABLE
[3]
https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/d6464fdc0a591662e5e5ee1b0303932e89cb027c
[4]
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/pgcrypto.html#PGCRYPTO-HASH-SPEED-TABLE

Best regards,
Alexander

14.05.2016 04:41, Peter Eisentraut пишет:
> On 5/4/16 3:04 PM, Alexander Law wrote:
>> Thank you!
>> I have some more errors written down, maybe they are worth fixing too.
>>
>> Second patch is for consistency in [1].
>> (I think XMLValidate could be aligned with "IS VALID predicate")
>> Third patch is for language name teared down in [1].
>> It seems that root of this typo is as far as in SQL Standard (see M015
>> description in [2]), but IMO it should be fixed anyway.
>
> I have fixed #1 and #2 but left #3 as it is in the SQL standard. (I
> think M and MUMPS are the same thing.)

Attachment Content-Type Size
1-pgtesttiming.patch text/x-patch 728 bytes
2-pg_xlogdump.patch text/x-patch 616 bytes
3-sepgpsql.patch text/x-patch 872 bytes
4-install-windows.patch text/x-patch 583 bytes
5-btree-gist.patch text/x-patch 537 bytes
6-pgcrypto.patch text/x-patch 786 bytes