Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Explicitly bind gettext to the correct encoding on Windows.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Explicitly bind gettext to the correct encoding on Windows.
Date: 2009-04-20 14:38:02
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> What makes more sense to me is to add a table to encnames.c that
>>> provides the gettext name of every encoding that we support.

> Here's a patch that moves the table over to encnames.c, and renames it
> to look like the others.

I think you forgot to include the NULL terminating entry that the
loop seems to be expecting. Also, why isn't the array "const"?

> I don't know what it should be doing if it can't find a match, so I
> haven't changed that behavior.

As things stand, it should throw error, except in the case of SQL_ASCII;
there is no excuse for any other database encoding to not be in the
table. However, what seems more worrisome to me is the prospect already
discussed that the codeset name we have in the table is not actually
recognized by gettext/iconv. Did we have a solution for that?

Anyway, this fixes my immediate concern about where the info is located,
so you may as well apply it with the array-terminator fix.