Re: Initdb --data-checksums by default

From: Alex Ignatov <a(dot)ignatov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Initdb --data-checksums by default
Date: 2016-04-21 13:00:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On 20.04.2016 23:28, Vick Khera wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 3:43 AM, Alex Ignatov
> <a(dot)ignatov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru <mailto:a(dot)ignatov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>> wrote:
>
> What do you think about defaulting --data-checksums in initdb?
>

> I think that ZFS storing my database files already does this and can
> correct for it using replicated copies, so why do I need a second
> layer of checksums?

Ms Windows doesnt have ZFS support. AIX also doesnt. Z/OS also. Any
other commercial Linux distros don't have ZFS support. Yes you can
compile it and use on production but...
But PG runs on the above OS, but have check sum off by default. Thats
the deal. And it is not related to ZFS existence or any other FS with
checksums in any way. The question is only in performance hit when you
turn it on and now I am in the process of testing it...

--
Alex Ignatov
The Russian Postgres Company