Re: like and optimization

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Juriy Goloveshkin <juriy(at)avias(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: like and optimization
Date: 2001-01-21 00:22:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Juriy Goloveshkin <juriy(at)avias(dot)com> writes:
> Hello, I didn't know pgsql-sources close,
> so I wrote this code just as example of idea.
> Can somebody review and make patch for pgsql?

AFAICT this only deals with the issue of single-byte characters that
sort in an order different from their numeric order. The existing
make_greater_string() code already deals with that case. Where it
falls down is cases where sorting is context-dependent (multi-pass
sort rules, digraphs, things like that). But I don't see anything
here that would make such cases work.

If you're trying to tell us that the 7.0.* code works correctly for
KOI8-R locale, we'd be glad to re-enable LIKE optimization for that
locale ...