Re: [PROPOSAL] Client Log Output Filtering

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Client Log Output Filtering
Date: 2016-04-04 17:44:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/4/16 12:36 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> writes:
>> On 4/4/16 11:21 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I had in mind a patch that simply added LOG_SERVER_ONLY as another define
>>> and did whatever seemed appropriate documentation-wise. I see no reason
>>> to touch the places that are currently dealing with client communication
>>> failures.
>
>> I still prefer to collapse them into a single value for the current
>> implementation.
>
> Right, that's what I had in mind, sorry if I was unclear. I agree that
> considering LOG_SERVER_ONLY as the main name and COMMERROR as an alias
> is reasonable.
>
>> COMMERROR was not documented in sources.sgml so LOG_SERVER_ONLY wasn't
>> either. I'm happy to do that that though it's not clear to me where it
>> would go. I could just put it in the general description.
>
> Ah, I thought I remembered that the specific elevels were documented
> there, but I see they're only documented in elog.h. Doesn't seem like
> it's incumbent on this patch to improve that.
>
> Committed with a quick pgindent fixup.

Thank you, and I appreciate you suggesting this simple solution.

The advantage of this over the other possible solutions is that I can
easily port the feature back to 9.5 by defining LOG_SERVER_ONLY when
building pgaudit for that version. That's a big win in my mind.

--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net