Re: Native XML

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Anton <antonin(dot)houska(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Native XML
Date: 2011-02-27 19:37:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Feb 27, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Well, that's why I asked --- if it's going to be a huge chunk of code,
> then I agree this is the wrong path to pursue. However, I do feel that
> libxml pretty well sucks, so if we could replace it with a relatively
> small amount of code, that might be the right thing to do.

I think that XML parsers must be hard to get really right, because of all those I've used in Perl, XML::LibXML is far and away the best. Its docs suck, but it does the work really well.

> No, because the xpath stuff is fundamentally broken, and nobody seems to
> know how to make libxslt do what we actually need. See the open bugs
> on the TODO list.

XPath is broken? I use it heavily in the Perl module Test::XPath and now, in PostgreSQL, with my explanation extension.

http://github.com/theory/explanation/

Is this something I need to worry about?

Best,

David