Re: So, can we stop supporting Windows native now?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Yury Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: So, can we stop supporting Windows native now?
Date: 2016-03-31 13:53:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/31/2016 06:38 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2016-03-31 13:30:58 +0300, Yury Zhuravlev wrote:
>> Craig Ringer wrote:
>>> Yeah, you're right. He's not the only one either.
>>>
>>> I was reacting to the original post, and TBH didn't think it through. The
>>> commit logs suggest there's a decent amount of work that goes in, and I'm
>>> sure a lot of it isn't visible when just looking for 'windows', 'win32',
>>> 'msvc', etc.
>>>
>>> Even the build system affects people who don't use it, if they're adding
>>> features. I recently backported a bunch of 9.3 functionality to 9.1, and
>>> in the process simply stripped out all the Windows build system changes as
>>> "meh, too hard, don't care".
>>>
>>> So yeah. I casually handwaved away a lot of work that's not highly
>>> visible, but still happens and is important, and was wrong to do so. I've
>>> done a bit on Windows myself but didn't fully recognise the burden support
>>> for it places on patches to core infrastructure and on committers.
>> Maybe someone in the community to appoint a chief for Windows?
> If somebody wanted to be that they'd just have to start doing it. It's
> not like windows problems are an infrequent occurrance.

For the most part Magnus and I have been that de facto, as the
committers most involved with Windows over the 11 or so years we've had
the port.

We also have a few other prominent developers who help out - e.g. with
the recent VS2015 stuff.

The worst thing about developing from my POV isn't something that
actually affects core developers so much, namely the lack of a nice MSVC
equivalent of PGXS.

It would also be nice to find out why we can't usefully scale shared
buffers higher like we can on *nix.

cheers

andrew