Re: btree_gin and btree_gist for enums

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Matt Wilmas <pgsql_lists(at)realplain(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: btree_gin and btree_gist for enums
Date: 2016-03-24 22:18:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 03/24/2016 12:40 PM, Matt Wilmas wrote:

> It would be *really* nice to have this in 9.6. It seems it's simply
> filling out functionality that should already be there, right? An
> oversight/bug fix so it works "as advertised?" :-)

I think that would be stretching the process a bit far. I'm certainly
not prepared to commit it unless there is a general consensus to make an
exception for it.

> Is any other btree type-compatibility missing from these modules? (I
> notice the btree_gin docs don't mention "numeric," but it works.)

uuid would be another type that should be fairly easily covered but isn't.

> I just looked over the patch, and the actual code addition/changes
> seem pretty small and straightforward (or am I wrong?).

Yes, sure, it's all fairly simple. Took me a little while to understand
what I was doing, but once I did it was pretty much plain sailing.

cheers

andrew