Re: WIP: Upper planner pathification

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Upper planner pathification
Date: 2016-03-23 16:03:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/22/16 7:28 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 7:55 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> wrote:
>> On 3/17/16 9:01 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>>
>>> I think that
>>> there are an awful lot of cases where extension authors haven't been
>>> able to quite do what they want to do without core changes because
>>> they couldn't get control in quite the right place; or they could do
>>> it but they had to cut-and-paste a lot of code.
>>
>> FWIW, I've certainly run into this at least once, maybe twice. The case I
>> can think of offhand is doing function resolution with variant. I don't
>> remember the details anymore, but my recollection is that to get what I
>> needed I would have needed to copy huge swaths of the rewrite code.
>
> Amen, I have been doing that a couple of days ago with some elog stuff.

Any ideas on ways to address this? Adding more hooks in random places
every time we stumble across something doesn't seem like a good method.

One thing I've wondered about is making it easier to find specific
constructs in a parsed query so that you can make specific
modifications. I recall looking at that once and finding a roadblock
(maybe a bunch of functions were static?)