Re: [WIP] Effective storage of duplicates in B-tree index.

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [WIP] Effective storage of duplicates in B-tree index.
Date: 2016-03-14 13:02:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Anastasia,

On 2/18/16 12:29 PM, Anastasia Lubennikova wrote:
> 18.02.2016 20:18, Anastasia Lubennikova:
>> 04.02.2016 20:16, Peter Geoghegan:
>>
>> Thank you for the review.
>> At last, there is a new patch version 3.0. After some refactoring it
>> looks much better.
>> I described all details of the compression in this document
>> https://goo.gl/50O8Q0 (the same text without pictures is attached in
>> btc_readme_1.0.txt).
>> Consider it as a rough copy of readme. It contains some notes about
>> tricky moments of implementation and questions about future work.
>> Please don't hesitate to comment it.
>>
> Sorry, previous patch was dirty. Hotfix is attached.

This looks like an extremely valuable optimization for btree indexes but
unfortunately it is not getting a lot of attention. It still applies
cleanly for anyone interested in reviewing.

It's not clear to me that you answered all of Peter's questions in [1].
I understand that you've provided a README but it may not be clear if
the answers are in there (and where).

Also, at the end of the README it says:

13. Xlog. TODO.

Does that mean the patch is not yet complete?

Thanks,
--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net