Re: Batch update of indexes

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Batch update of indexes
Date: 2016-03-14 12:09:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Konstantin,

On 2/3/16 11:47 AM, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:
> Attached please find patch for "ALTER INDEX ... WHERE ..." clause.
> It is now able to handle all three possible situations:
> 1. Making index partial (add WHERE condition to the ordinary index)
> 2. Extend partial index range (less restricted index predicate)
> 3. Arbitrary change of partial index predicate
>
> In case 2) new records are added to the index.
> In other two cases index is completely reconstructed.
>
> This patch includes src/bin/insbench utility for testing insert
> performance. It can be easily excluded from the patch to reduce it size.
> Also it is better to apply this patch together with "index-only scans
> with partial indexes" patch:

This patch no longer applies on master:

$ git apply ../other/alter-index.patch
../other/alter-index.patch:27: trailing whitespace.
static void
../other/alter-index.patch:62: indent with spaces.
SPIPlanPtr plan;
../other/alter-index.patch:63: indent with spaces.
Portal portal;
../other/alter-index.patch:90: trailing whitespace.

../other/alter-index.patch:99: trailing whitespace.

error: patch failed: src/test/regress/expected/aggregates.out:831
error: src/test/regress/expected/aggregates.out: patch does not apply

Please provide a new patch for review. Meanwhile I am marking this
"waiting on author".

Thanks,
--
-David