pstrdup(TextDatumGetCString(foo)) ?

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pstrdup(TextDatumGetCString(foo)) ?
Date: 2016-03-10 03:46:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I am encountering, here and there, an idiom like

pstrdup(TextDatumGetCString(foo))

or a pre-8.4 version,

pstrdup(DatumGetCString(DirectFunctionCall1(textout, foo)))

It's leading me to question my sanity because it appears to me
that both text_to_cstring (underlying TextDatumGetCString) and
textout already return a string palloc'd in the current context,
and that pstrdup (without any change of context) can't be accomplishing
anything. I'm probably missing something crucial, but what?

-Chap