Re: Publish autovacuum informations

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fabrízio Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Publish autovacuum informations
Date: 2016-03-02 23:48:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/2/16 10:48 AM, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> Good point, I don't see a lot of information available with this hooks
> that a native system statistics couldn't offer. To have the same amount
> of information, I think we'd need a pg_stat_autovacuum view that shows a
> realtime insight of the workers, and also add some aggregated counters
> to PgStat_StatTabEntry. I wonder if adding counters to
> PgStat_StatTabEntry would be accepted though.

I would also really like to see a means of logging (auto)vacuum activity
in the database itself. We figured out how to do that with
pg_stat_statements, which was a lot harder... it seems kinda silly not
to offer that for vacuum. Hooks plus shared memory data should allow for
that (the only tricky bit is the hook would need to start and then
commit a transaction, but that doesn't seem onerous).

I think the shared memory structures should be done as well. Having that
real-time info is also valuable.

I don't see too much point in adding stuff to the stats system for this.