Re: The plan for FDW-based sharding

From: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The plan for FDW-based sharding
Date: 2016-03-01 18:19:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/03/16 18:18, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:

> On 01.03.2016 19:03, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> Uh, is that even true of indexing? While the plug-in nature of indexing
>>> allows for easier development and testing, does anyone create plug-in
>>> indexing that isn't shipped by us? I thought WAL support was something
>>> that prevented external indexing solutions from working.
>> True. There is an API, though, and having pluggable WAL support seems
>> desirable too. At the same time, I don't think we know of anyone
>> maintaining a non-core index AM ... and there are probably good
>> reasons for that. We end up revising the index AM API pretty
>> regularly every time somebody wants to do something new, so it's not
>> really a stable API that extensions can just tap into. I suspect that
>> a transaction manager API would end up similarly situated.
>>

> IMHO non-stable API is better than lack of API.
> Just because it makes it possible to implement features in modular way.
> And refactoring of API is not so difficult thing...

Since this thread heavily discusses the XTM, I have question about the
XTM as proposed because one thing is very unclear to me - what happens
when user changes the XTM plugin on the server? I didn't see any xid
handover API which makes me wonder if changes of a plugin (or for
example failure to load previously used plugin due to admin error) will
send server to similar situation as xid wraparound.