Re: The plan for FDW-based sharding

From: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The plan for FDW-based sharding
Date: 2016-02-24 09:22:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sorry, but based on this plan it is possible to make a conclusion that
there are only two possible cluster solutions for Postgres:
XC/XL and FDW-based. From my point of view there are much more
possible alternatives.
Our main idea with XTM (eXtensible Transaction Manager API) was to make
it possible to develop cluster solutions for Postgres as extensions
without patching code of Postgres core. And FDW is one of the mechanism
which makes it possible to reach this goal.

IMHO it will be hard to implement efficient execution of complex OLAP
queries (including cross-node joins and aggregation) within FDW
paradigm. It will be necessary to build distributed query execution plan
and coordinate it execution at cluster nodes. And definitely we need
specialized optimizer for distributed queries. Right now solution of the
problem are provided by XL and Greenplum, but both are forks of Posrgres
with a lot of changes in Postgres core. The challenge is to provide the
similar functionality, but at extension level (using custom nodes,
pluggable transaction manager, ...).

But, as you noticed, complex OLAP is just one of the scenarios and this
is not the only possible way of using clusters. In some cases FDW-based
sharding can be quite efficient. Or pg_shard approach which also adds
sharding at extension level and in some aspects is more flexible than
FDW-based solution. Not all scenarios require global transaction
manager. But if one need global consistency, then XTM API allows to
provide ACID for both approaches (and not only for them).

We currently added to commitfest our XTM patch together with
postgres_fdw patch integrating timestamp-based DTM implementation in
postgres_fdw. It illustrates how global consistency canbe reached for
FDW-based sharding.
If this XTM patch will be committed, then in 9.6 we will have wide
flexibility to play with different distributed transaction managers. And
it can be used for many cluster solutions.

IMHO it will be very useful to extend your classification of cluster use
cases, more precisely formulate demands in all cases, investigate how
them can be covered by existed cluster solutions for Postgres and which
niches are still vacant. We are currently continue work on "multimaster"
- some more convenient alternative to hot-standby replication. Looks
like PostgreSQL is missing some product providing functionality similar
to Oracle RAC or MySQL Gallera. It is yet another direction of cluster
development for PostgreSQL. Let's be more open and flexible.

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company