Re: about google summer of code 2016

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht(at)8kdata(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: about google summer of code 2016
Date: 2016-02-21 20:15:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 19/02/16 10:10, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa wrote:
> Oleg and I discussed recently that a really good addition to a GSoC
> item would be to study whether it's convenient to have a binary
> serialization format for jsonb over the wire. Some argue this should be
> benchmarked first. So the scope for this project would be to benchmark
> and analyze the potential improvements and then agree on which format
> jsonb could be serialized to (apart from the current on-disk format,
> there are many json or nested k-v formats that could be used for sending
> over the wire).

Seems a bit risky for a GSoC project. We don't know if a different
serialization format will be a win, or whether we want to do it in the
end, until the benchmarking is done. It's also not clear what we're
trying to achieve with the serialization format: smaller on-the-wire
size, faster serialization in the server, faster parsing in the client,
or what?

- Heikki