Re: BUG #13440: unaccent does not remove all diacritics

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Léonard Benedetti <benedetti(at)mlpo(dot)fr>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Gradek <mike(at)busbud(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #13440: unaccent does not remove all diacritics
Date: 2016-02-11 15:36:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> I don't think this alone will completely get rid of the hardcoded
> special cases though, because we have these two mappings which look
> like Latin but are in fact Cyrillic and I assume we need to keep them:
>
> Ё Е
> ё е

As a native Russian speaker I can explain why we need to keep this two rules.
'Ё' letter is not 'E' with some accent/diacritic sign, it is a separate letter
in russian alphabet. But a lot of newpapers, magazines and even books use 'Е'
instead of 'Ё' to simplify printing house work. Any Russian speaker doesn't make
a mistake while reading because 'Ё' isn't frequent and anybody remembers the
right pronounce. Also, on russian keyboard 'Ё' placed in inconvenient place (key
with ` or ~), so, many russian writer use 'Е' instead of it to increase typing
speed.

Pls, do not remove at least this special case.

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/