Re: PostgreSQL Audit Extension

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Audit Extension
Date: 2016-02-02 02:10:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[I pulled this back in from the other thread that got started. This
happened because my email to pgsql-hackers bounced but was also sent to
Alvaro who replied to that message not the later one that went through
to hackers.]

On 2/1/16 3:59 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Anyway, what would *you* do with any additional time? It's reviewers
> that need to chime in when a patch is in needs-review state. You
> already did your part by submitting. Anyway I think the tests
> here are massive and the code is not; perhaps people get the mistaken
> impression that this is a huge amount of code which scares them.
> Perhaps you could split it up in (1) code and (2) tests, which
> wouldn't achieve any technical benefit but would offer some
> psychological comfort to potential reviewers.

Good suggestion, so that's exactly what I've done. Attached are a set
of patches that apply cleanly against 1d0c3b3.

* 01: Add errhidefromclient() macro for ereport

This is the same patch that I submitted here:

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/9/431/

but since pgaudit requires it I added it to this set for convenience.

* 02: The pgaudit code

And make file, etc. Everything needed to get it compiled and installed
as an extension.

* 03: Docs and regression tests

To run regression tests this patch will need to be applied. They have
been separated to make the code patch not look so large and hopefully
encourage reviews.

--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net