Re: PostgreSQL Audit Extension

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Audit Extension
Date: 2016-01-31 17:40:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/31/2016 05:07 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> David Steele wrote:
>> The attached patch implements audit logging for PostgreSQL as an
>> extension. I believe I have addressed the concerns that were raised at
>> the end of the 9.5 development cycle.
>
> This patch got no feedback at all during the commitfest. I think there
> is some interest on auditing capabilities so it's annoying and
> surprising that this has no movement at all.
>
> If the lack of activity means lack of interest, please can we all keep
> what we've been doing in this thread, which is to ignore it, so that we
> can just mark this as rejected. Otherwise, please chime in. I'm giving
> this patch some more time by moving it to next commitfest instead.

From my perspective, lack of activity means since it doesn't have a
technical requirement to be in -core, it doesn't need to be.

That said, it is certainly true that people express interest in auditing
(all the time). So I think we need to either punt it as something that
is going to be an external extension or someone needs to pick it up.

It used to be that there was a philosophy of we built what people need
to build other things. This is why replication for the longest time
wasn't incorporated. If that is still our philosophy I don't even know
why the audit extension is still a question.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. http://the.postgres.company/