Re: postgres_fdw join pushdown (was Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs)

From: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postgres_fdw join pushdown (was Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs)
Date: 2016-01-29 08:35:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2016/01/29 1:26, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
> Here's an updated version of the previous patches, broken up like before

> 2. pg_fdw_join_v3.patch: changes to postgres_fdw - more description below

> Here is the summary of changes from the last set of patches

> 2. Included fix for EvalPlanQual in postgres_fdw - an alternate local
> path is obtained from the list of paths linked to the joinrel. Since
> this is done before adding the ForeignPath, we should be a local path
> available for given join.

I looked at that code in the patch (ie, postgresRecheckForeignScan and
the helper function that creates a local join path for a given foreign
join path.), briefly. Maybe I'm missing something, but I think that is
basically the same as the fix I proposed for addressing this issue,
posted before [1], right? If so, my concern is, the helper function
probably wouldn't extend to the parameterized-foreign-join-path cases,
though that would work well for the unparameterized-foreign-join-path
cases. We don't support parameterized-foreign-join paths for 9.6?

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5666B59F.6010701@lab.ntt.co.jp