pgpool II, streaming replication and HA

From: Alexander Pyhalov <alp(at)rsu(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgpool II, streaming replication and HA
Date: 2016-01-27 08:06:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi.

I'd like to setup HA PostgreSQL streaming replication cluster with two
nodes. The main issue which I'd like to protect from is HW node failure
or reboot. I supposed to use repmgr to control PostgreSQL cluster and
two pgpool instances as load balancers/DB proxies.

The issue which I still don't understand how to handle is temporary
master failure. Let's say, we have host A (master) and host B (slave).
Now A reboots. Pgpool (or repmgr, doesn't matter) promotes B to master.
Now A comes online (and still considers itself master). How can Pgpool
determine that A host is "bad one" and stop routing queries to A?
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,