manage changes to views having depencies

From: "Eric Worden" <worden(dot)eric(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: manage changes to views having depencies
Date: 2009-01-01 04:57:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Can anyone recommend a reasonably efficient system for changing a view
definition (say by adding a column) when it has a bunch of dependent
functions?

Right now I work with the output from pg_dump to recreate things after
doing "DROP VIEW ... CASCADE". But the pg_dump schema output is only
approximately sorted by dependencies, and "create table..." is
sprinkled all through it. That means I have to carefully comb through
and select the pieces I need.

Is there a way to just script the view definitions, then the
functions? Or maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way?