Developing and Building PostgreSQL in an IDE on Windows

From: "Igal (at) Lucee(dot)org" <igal(at)lucee(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: igal(at)lucee(dot)org
Subject: Developing and Building PostgreSQL in an IDE on Windows
Date: 2016-01-16 21:35:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Java developer here with very basic knowledge of C and C++ and therefore
some noob questions, so please bear with me (to further complicate
things -- I am using Windows).

My goal is to be able run PostgreSQL in an IDE like Eclipse CDT or
Code::Blocks so that I can run it in debug mode and set breakpoints etc.

I downloaded the Source Release distribution REL_9_5_0, and ran
./configure via MinGW-w64 -- the config.log file is available at
https://gist.github.com/TwentyOneSolutions/f3ce3df3d8cc655db45d

Now I have a .project file, which I thought to be an Eclipse project
file, but opening it in Eclipse doesn't do much. Is it, indeed, an
Eclipse project file? If not, then what (cross-platform) IDE would open it?

When I import the directory to Eclipse as Existing Project I get the
directory structure in Eclipse, but trying to run "Build" results in
"Info: Nothing to build for postgres-REL9_5_0", and trying to Run or
Debug says "The selection cannot be launched, and there no recent launches".

Any ideas on how I can make progress will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

--

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer