Re: dynloader.h missing in prebuilt package for Windows?

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Olson, Ken" <Ken(dot)Olson(at)pega(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dynloader.h missing in prebuilt package for Windows?
Date: 2016-01-05 05:37:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/05/16 00:18, Michael Paquier wrote:

> with MSVC what is used instead of dynloader.h is
> port/dynloader/win32.h.

Seems like a good catch - AFAICS, what happens with port/dynloader
is that for 12 different OSes, there's an <osname>.h file there to
be copied _renamed to dynloader.h_ into the build tree, and a .c
file expecting similar treatment, and that the problem that kicked
off this whole thread was just that the windows build process (and
only the windows build process) was neglecting to do that.

And so I was pretty sure the fix was to make the windows build do
that, and then it would be doing the same thing as the other eleven,
but I just looked at Bruce's patch more closely and it does seem to
be doing something else instead.

> Instead of this patch I would be incline to
> remove the #define stuff with dynloader.h that use WIN32_ONLY_COMPILER
> (see for example dfmgr.c) and just copy the header in include/. This
> way we use the same header for all platforms.

But this part I'm not sure I follow (and maybe I don't need to follow
it, you guys know your code better than I do) ... in this whole thread
haven't we been talking about just making the windows build copy its
port/dynloader files the same way the other eleven platforms do, because
it wasn't, and that seemed to be an omission, and worth not continuing
to omit?

-Chap