Re: Dollar quoting inside a regex bracket expression

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dollar quoting inside a regex bracket expression
Date: 2004-09-27 20:07:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> Mis-expectations. I expected--unreasonably, I see--every part of
> 8.0beta to do dollar quoting and didn't see how the cases of, say,
> pl/python and the regex engine were similar. Is this worth a mention
> as part of the regex docs, or is my expectation universally
> unreasonable?

Regex patterns don't have the notion of a quoted substring at all, so
it seems moderately unreasonable to me to expect dollar quoting to mean
something to regex (even discounting the fact that it couldn't work
lexically because $ has different lexical properties in a regex
pattern).

The dollar quote stuff is documented as a SQL string constant
representation. It doesn't seem to me that you'd expect it to work
anywhere except in SQL statements.