Re: DROP DATABASE always seeing database in use

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Michael Fuhr" <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, "Postgres" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DROP DATABASE always seeing database in use
Date: 2008-08-04 16:09:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I've been bit by that too, and so have other people. Maybe it'd be
>> worth the trouble to improve the message so that it explicitly tells you
>> when there are prepared transactions blocking the DROP.

> Yes, that should be easy enough.

I looked at this quickly and decided that we can do it with some small
changes to CheckOtherDBBackends(). I propose counting the number of
conflicting PGPROCs and adding a DETAIL line to the existing error
message:

ERROR: database "%s" is being accessed by other users
DETAIL: There are %d session(s) and %d prepared transaction(s) using the database.

I'm aware that this phrasing might not translate very nicely ... anyone
have a suggestion for better wording?