Re: Logical replication and multimaster

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jon Erdman <jon(at)progressivepractice(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logical replication and multimaster
Date: 2015-12-16 03:48:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/13/15 7:37 AM, David Fetter wrote:
> As I understand it, pushing these into a library has been proposed but
> not rejected. That it hasn't happened yet is mostly about the lack of
> tuits (the round ones) to rewrite the functionality as libraries and
> refactor pg_dump/pg_restore to use only calls to same. As usual, it's
> less about writing the code and more about the enormous amount of
> testing any such a refactor would entail.

My understanding as well. IIRC Jon Erdman brought this question up a
couple years ago and the response was "It'd probably be accepted, it's
just that no one has done the work."

> I believe that refactoring much of pg_dump's functionality for the
> current version of the server into SQL-accessible functions and making
> pg_dump use only those functions is achievable with available
> resources.
>
> Such a refactor need not be all-or-nothing. For example, the
> dependency resolution stuff is a first step that appears to be worth
> doing by itself even if the effort then pauses, possibly for some
> time.

If someone wanted to spend time on this, I suspect it'd be worth looking
at how bad some of the backward compatibility issues would be if done in
the server. Maybe they wouldn't be that bad. I suspect the audience for
this code would be much larger if it was in the server as opposed to a C
library.