Re: pam auth - add rhost item

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pam auth - add rhost item
Date: 2015-12-15 17:53:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Actually, one more thing - the patch should probably update the docs
too, because client-auth.sgml currently says this in the "auth-pam" section:

<para>
PAM is used only to validate user name/password pairs.
</para>

I believe that's no longer true, because the patch adds PAM_RHOST to the
user/password fields.

Regarding the other PAM_* fields, none of them strikes me as very useful
for our use case.

In a broader sense, I think this patch is quite desirable, despite being
rather simple (which is good). I certainly don't agree with suggestions
that we can already do things like this through pg_hba.conf. If we're
providing PAM authentication, let's make it as complete/useful as
possible. In some cases modifying PAM may not be feasible - e.g. some
management systems rely on PAM as much as possible, and doing changes in
other ways is a major hassle.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com